Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Worship

Smitty posted about the subject of worship recently. This caused me to ask the question, "when is the last time you worshipped?" I have been to many "worship services" with "worship leaders" leading "worship songs". But usually for me this is a time of going through the motions, a time where I may earnestly desire to worship, but try as I might, it doesn't flow.

I'm sure that for some people, the immediate reaction to reading that might be, "Well, your worship experience is simply a reflection of the authenticity and vitality of your relationship with God. Have you invested in that relationship lately?" Others might say, "How much time are you spending reading the Bible each day?" (not much) In my denominational heritage, it was common for the early members to sincerely greet one another with the question, "How goes it with your walk?" The focus was on developing and nurturing an active, intimate relationship with the Lord of Love and Light, our Creator. This is something I have neglected, or at least have not devoted a lot of time to in quite a while. But that sense of loss, or of need for that relationship, is a lot of what prompted this particular blog. Still, I don't want my seeking for more of God in my life to shift into an obligation. I want it to be a heartfelt desire for a Person.

There have been times in my life when I have Worshipped. I participated in the song or hymn in a way which seemed to involve my whole being, when every word was real and alive, as I stood there alone amidst others, before God. I felt a spirit of adoration, gratitude, dependence, and total acceptance. Even the parts of the lyrics which so clearly did not describe me, became prayers, a statement of longing that those words might one day describe me.

But as I think back on those times, I remember that the came with a particular sense of total brokenness. I think one thing that holds me back is that when I am deep in worship, and deeply moved by the experience, my eyes leak. Tears fall from my face. I have a mixed reaction when that happens. First, I become self-conscious, embarrassed at my maudlin display. Or, worse yet, I become self-conscious, and then wonder if people around me notice and think that I am spiritual because I am so moved by worship. arrgggh. I'm not proud of that response. Perhaps that's why I avoid external display in a worship service. I do not raised my hands or my arms. I do not sway to the music. I do not even clap, but that has more to do with my lack of rhythm. I know that for some people, raising hands is a natural expression from the heart. But I wonder how many times it is done because it is in some circles it is how you are "supposed to" worship. If you don't do it, perhaps you will be viewed as less spiritual. Of course, there are traditions where if you even turned your hands upward at waist level, you would be considered to be wildly ostentatious. I've worshipped in those churches too.

8 comments:

Erin said...

That's a loaded post. I guess I would ask you this: what makes you feel worshipful?

I'm not necessarily talking "in church", and you don't have to answer that for me, just think about it. That would be a key, I think, to finding true worship experiences. I think when we go into church with an expectation of finding this powerful experience, we set ourselves up. Sometimes we will "feel it", but many times it's simply something we need to do when in a church environment, whether it's experiential for us or not...as a part of the process.

I guess what I'm saying is foster that which is worshipful for you in your life whatever it may be, and maybe you won't feel like you're missing something so much when you're in church and not really "feeling" it.

I don't know if that makes any sense....

afaithreconsidered said...

Erin, good point about expectations. You pose a difficult question. What makes me feel worshipful? I would answer by saying that I first need to offer my definition of worship. For me, worship is an encounter with the Living Christ in a way which brings me fully into the moment with an awareness that I am in the Presence of God. It's not necessarily a deeply emotional moment, but it is always a very real moment.

This has actually happened during worship services, but for me, the very nature of the usual orchestrated worship performance is an impediment to real communion with God. I could say more about the worship leader as cheerleader, but in respect for those who truly do minister in that capacity, I'll stop there.

So, what happens for me when I feel worshipful in a worship service? It always seems to start with an open heart, and a willingness, or even desire, to take in the words of the song, meditate on them, and then offer them back to God as a personal prayer. This can be a simultaneous process.

There have been a couple times in my life where this was such a natural expression that I was able to do this with every song in a "worship service". There was no effort to it. But that felt like a temporary gift. It was in that same church that I felt complete alienation from the rest of the body during a worship service, in part because the "worship leader" kept bobbing and weaving on stage, with little hand motions to urge us to sing more. It seemed that everyone else was into it, and only I found her sophomoric cheerleader style to be distracting and even insulting.

Another issue for me is that my voice is not lovely, even though my wife contends that there is nothing wrong with my singing voice. So I always start with a bit of self-consciousness and a desire not to interfere with the worship experience of the person directly in front of me.

Another, more common, experience of worshipfulness for me is shared prayer. When I share my heart with God, often praying for the other person who is there with me, I get lost in the prayer. I am only there, at that moment. I am aware of being WITH God and before Him. It's both humbling and safe. There is a confidence that He hears and that He loves. It seems strange to me that I don't experience this when I pray by myself. Perhaps it's because when I prayer with another person, or even in a small group, I do not allow my mind to drift. There is an intentionality to the act. I am bringing concerns and praises to God and at that moment, nothing in the world is more important than that.

There have been other times when I was doing something else physically, even just driving, and I was in a reflective mood. On a few of those occasions I have come to an awareness of a specific way that God has been working in my life. At those moments there is a sense of gratitude, but also an experience of peace. It is in those moments that I feel what I would call "passively or quietly worshipful". It's more of a state of resting in Him. It's a place of trust.

If I remember correctly, Jonathan Edwards said something like, "A true understanding of the nature of man, combined with a true understanding of the nature of God, inexorably leads to worship." I think that can be true at times, if the heart of the "worshipper" is open. And event that, I believe, is sometimes a gift, an imputing of grace.

afaithreconsidered said...

sorry that I was so long-winded. It's easy for me to ramble on when it's such an important topic.

Erin said...

You know I never have a problem with wordiness. :-)

I have had this post open all day because when I read your response, something came to mind...but I didn't have time to write it at the time and now I have forgotten.

I think it had something to do with my belief that true worship *experiences* aren't necessarily meant by God to be commonplace, but rather a more rare event in order that they are meaningful and we will remember the times when He really moved us. I have been a charismatic long enough to know that even really powerful and moving and touching worship can become so tiring that I lose my responsiveness to it if it is too often.

And I'm completely with you about self-consciousness about the singing voice thing being a hindrance...I can't carry a tune in a bucket....but I try.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about not clapping and swaying to the music mostly because you haven't got rhythm made me smile. I can do both but only after consuming a relatively significant amount of alcohol - so not usually in church:) I seem to be in a congregation of like-minded or similarly challenged because everytime the choir director tries to slip in a gospel or calypso number, complete with swaying and clapping we look like, well, a bunch of English people who've just had their afternoon tea ritual disrupted.

While I think our congregation could loosen up - just a tad - I'm personally not comfortable with the "cheerleading" sort of worship you describe, but then I'm old and stodgy and getting older and stodgier! I went to a church out of town recently (an Anglican church of all things) and I thought I was in a Pentecostal church with all the "amening" and "praise the Lord"s (not that that's a bad thing!) What really disturbed me however was that people wouldn't stop chatting during the service. It was as if we were at a bar or restaurant and weren't bothering to listen to the featured entertainment because we'd paid for our drinks and could do whatever we pleased. People were even laughing and chatting through Holy Communion, which seemed to make it not very holy at all.

I think Erin made a good point about what things make you feel "worshipful" and also a good point about truly profound sacred experiences being rare. In North America we tend to be "experience junkies", always looking for another high. However we have to also find the divine in the routine, the commonplace and the everyday, in the quiet and still.

ON Jesus Creed they recently had a series on "thin places", those places, things, actions which make the space between us and God "thinner". This is something like erin's idea of what makes you feel "worshipful".

Some of my everyday "thin places":
-sitting alone in my church without the lights on on one of the mornings the church is open but not being used. Just me and God and the saints who've gone before.
-the beautiful "Good Shepherd" stained glass behind the altar. I could stare at it and think about what it means everyday and never tire of it.
-sitting or walking at the bay (a few blocks down) on a quite morning or evening (actually a bit like one of your poems - the one with the heron)
-the cottonwood grove and overgrown orchard a couple of blocks from my house. Once a plowed field nature has reclaimed it and it bustles with God's wild creatures
-singing the Lord's Prayer before Eucharist - (except when they do that crazy calypso version) (LOL)
-singing the Agnus Dei
-the silent and solemn procession of worshipers waiting for their turn at the Lord's Table
-the whisper of "Christ's body given for you, Christ's blood shed for you" as I accept, on my knees, a piece of bread and the cup

I've also had those occasions where I have been completely awestruck by the presence of the divine in creation or in buildings built to his glory (Durham and Wells Cathedrals come to mind) , or in me. Like you, often those occasions accompanied a time of trauma or pain.

Well, even more wordy than you, it seems!

afaithreconsidered said...

Mariam,
Your description of thin places was very powerful. I could relate to all of them with my own similar experiences. In fact, just reading them evoked a visceral response. It must be like what an expatriate feels when someone describe their homeland.

afaithreconsidered said...

I just posted about this subject again on my other blog. I invite you to check it out.

Anonymous said...

" It must be like what an expatriate feels when someone describe their homeland."

Makes me wonder what that homeland was for you and why you can't go back.