Monday, October 22, 2007

John Arrives; My Questions

What does that mean:

"the True Light, who gives perfect, steadfast light to all human beings"?

or, as the NIV words it:

"The true light that gives light to every man"

What is that "light" that is given to every human? Is that referring to some inherent goodness, some benign or altruistic quality, or is it just the conscience? If so, how do we reconcile that with the scriptures which indicate that there is no innate goodness in us? Is this is a quality that is dormant within us? Is it something that is activated upon the new life that comes from relationship with Christ? But the fact that it says it is given to EVERY human gives me pause.

Is this referring to universal salvation? That doesn't seem to fit the immediate or larger context.

Or, perhaps this is referring to an offered gift of light, the gift of salvation, and the word "gives" merely means "offers"? If so, that seems a bit disingenuous. It feels like those advertisements for a free iPod, where the fine print tells you that it's only free if you agree to subscribe to six magazines or something like that.

FREE for all humankind: LIGHT!
(offer void in New Jersey, the District of Columbia, and Hell. Offer not available to cherubim, seraphim, or other employees of God. Offer expires upon death. Not redeemable with offers from competing gods.)

3 comments:

Bar L. said...

you're offer void thing cracks me up. Poor Bruce, those Jersey boys never get a break.

Gary Means said...

It took me a minute to make the connection. I really can't stand Bruce Springstein, (one area of the few areas where you and I strongly differ) so my first thought when you said "Bruce" was of our fellow blogger in Texas. That made me think of Robert in Portland, who lived in Jersey for a while.

I grew up in Tacoma, Washington. I can't count the number of times I've heard that city referred to as the New Jersey of the northwest because it used to be so blue collar, so polluted, and so corrupt. Seattleites have long considered Tacoma to be the armpit of the region because of the nasty, nasty odors from the pulp mill.

My only exposure to the Garden State is the movies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_set_in_New_Jersey)
and the regular news reports of medical waste washing up on its shores. For all I know it could actually be a wonderful, pristine place, characterized by good government and well educated citizens, where, like Lake Wobegon, all the children are above average.

And try as I might, I am still baffled by the popularity of Bruce Springstein. But with all those grammys and that oscar, not to mention his record sales, I guess other people see something that I am clearly missing.

I find it amusing that when Doug Pagitt interviews someone, he ends with the question, "What's your favorite Bruce Springstein song?" I remember him being shocked, if not a little disgusted, when one of his interviewees hesitantly responded, "I don't know. Didn't he do something about being born in the USA?"

Robert said...

hey now bro NJ is called the *garden state for a reason!!! LOL I lived in both the gritty grimy area as well as the green nice area prefer Bon Jovi to Bruce but the Boss is still ok to me Hmmmm i have been asking question at my place too is it more fun to ask questions than to try and give answers??? things that make you go hmmmmmmm :)