Sunday, October 7, 2007

Invited Light

Holy light invited displaces darkness
in the deepest caverns of my soul.
The illumination of His Truth
dispels familiar blindness.
Loving light reveals
many hidden things,
secret truths that I have chosen
to be buried forever more,
and certain shameful stories
that I've carefully cloaked in lies.
Malicious motives and selfishness
and even full-blown hate,
were once obscured,
at least from me,

yet now they are laid quite bare.

But this Holy light of the Lord
does not condemn or judge.
He is neither shocked
nor dismayed
to find corruption there.
He sees all this, and so much more,
and meets it all with Grace.
For He's intimately acquainted
with my every breath,
every hair upon my head,
and every thought that lurks within.
So His blessed radiance
may dispel the darkness,
but it also clearly displays
the very nature of His Being.

1 comment:

afaithreconsidered said...

This one was inspired in part by the sermon I heard this morning. It also reflects a truth to which I cling.

Jonathan Edwards said something to the effect that, if a person seriously considers the nature of man and the nature of God, the natural result is grateful worship. I probably have really messed up the quote, but I cannot find the original anywhere.

To seriously study the nature of a human being (to state it in more inclusive terms) one only need look within, eh? And I am certainly not talking about an inherent human propensity toward altruism. I don't believe that exists. Unfortunately, I believe the basic instinct of an unredeemed human is to enhance and protect one's own self interest. At least that's what the evidence of history and the evidence of my heart tells me. Fortunately, God can redeem and transform even the most reprobate of this curious human race. Still, I think that even believers revert to that default state unless they are abiding in God. And precious few earnestly seek to consistently abide in Him. I certainly do not.

(Why would I say that humans are essentially selfish? Look at how humans react under pressure. The application of stress reveals the true nature of us all.)