Friday, September 28, 2007

Post-Post Regret

Sometimes I suffer from post-post regret. You know, times when you write something that makes perfect sense to you at the time, and then later you come back and re-read, and wonder if you did crack instead of cornflakes that morning.

Or, sometimes you are feeling something pretty intensely and you're one of those people who process things by writing them out. (That would be me.) So you "think out-loud" in writing, and then you hit "Publish Post". You come back later, re-read what you wrote, and notice that no one has commented. You cringe, and naturally assume that this is because people have read what you wrote, and deduced that you are one of those persons who wears an aluminum foil hat to bed so the CIA cannot listen in to your dreams. (Of course you know that the magic symbols embroidered on the bottom of your socks will protect you.) It's an uncomfortable moment and when it happens, sometimes I do delete. Today is one of those days. I did delete one post, but will stop there. For now.

3 comments:

Erin said...

DO you wear a foil hat?

LOL you know I try not to delete posts, but I understand why sometimes people feel that they may have written something in an emotional moment and don't really want it out there for the world to see.

I think sometimes I don't comment because I deduce that a post was written as thinking-out-loud and not necessarily inviting conversation; NOT because I think you're crazy.

Gary Means said...

Thank Erin. shhhh. See what I mean about exposing truths about ourselves and regretting it?

By the way, you are invited to converse with me on any of my posts.

Erin said...

Thanks Gary. Likewise.